
while the babies I watch are sleeping :)
On Tuesday of this week, Sabrina and I met a genetics counselor at the cancer center. It was a much more interesting than I expected & very informative. We are doing a little family medical history to see if we can connect some dots. They also drew blood to do the BRAC test. The results of that will not only aid in my treatment, but will be informative for my family & kids as far as prevention is concerned.
From there, we went to the plastic surgeons office. This would be where we hit the first glitch in my journey. Everything as gone so smoothly until now, it took me by surprise when we hit a bump in the road. We ended up meeting with the manager of that facility first, then after a lengthy wait, another phone call and a text message .... I was seen by the doctor. I liked her very much. We were shown numerous before/during/and after photographs of her work and it was impressive. Had an exam, did some talking and decided that reconstruction will serve me best if done sometime after my original surgery. With so many unknown factors (most importantly my treatment plan) she would be reluctant to start the process yet. She believes I'll achieve much better results by taking care of the cancer first and doing reconstructive surgery down the road.
I sort of went in with that expectation, but we needed to get confirmation. I left there feeling satisfied that we've gathered all of the information possible and ready to move forward. I immediately made the phone call for them to schedule surgery. Now set for June 14.
So the kids and I, plus Jeremiah's girlfriend, are heading to Sanibel to stay with Randy for the next nine days. I do believe I've tackled all of the big things that I wanted to do beforehand. Though I feel frazzled at the moment, doing my last minute packing, etc.... I intend to go unwind, relax, and enjoy this time w/my kids. Sanibel has always = serinity to me and I could use some of that now!
Much thanks to those who've offered your prayers and support. Thanks to those who will be at our place while we're away. Great family / friends and peace of mind are priceless!

No comments:
Post a Comment