Saturday, June 25, 2011

way, way behind in writing!

Sorry for the delay :(

Mostly good stuff's been going on & keeping me busy, although I did experience a minor setback yesterday. I've been having my "fills" (aka expansion) once a week.... Well day before yesterday, my plastic surgeon was really inspecting the redness that was left behind from having had the infection in May. She rubbed on it with her thumb but thought it looked ok. Unfortunately it got a brighter red and started spreading that afternoon & evening :(

I am assuming the infection was laying dormant and she just irritated it / stirred things up and it reacted angrily. So when I called them to report this yesterday morning, they asked me to come down to Springfield and go to the ER - not that this was an emergency, but most likely the quickest way to have me seen and admitted. So that's what I did, I got here around 2 p.m., was finally taken up to a room around 5 and started on IV antibiotics.

They outline the redness, to see if it dissipates or expands, and it seems to be getting a bit smaller in size. It is not as bright red as it had been either - which is good news! The doctor with infectious disease just came in and told me he's guessing another day or two on the IV, then they'll probably be able to send me home on oral antibiotics.

Whew!

My fear was, that they would need to remove the tissue expander, leave it out.... and let me heal for a few months without anything. That would be very discouraging. I've come this far, am nearly done, and don't want something like that to delay things. So hopes and prayers would be appreciated, that the infection responds well to the antibiotics & that the TE can stay put - thank you!

No comments: